PayPal Claims – The PayPal Dispute Resolution Centre helps you resolve any PayPal claims you may have. In an event where you purchase an item but it never arrives or what you purchased arrives but does not meet the specification for which you intend, you can make a claim, and have PayPal help you resolve it and get you your money back.
Difference Between a Dispute and a Claim
If you open a dispute, you’ll be asking the seller to resolve a problem with a transaction. You can communicate with each other by posting messages in the Resolution Center until you reach an amicable solution.
A Claim is when you can’t resolve a dispute, you can then escalate it to a claim within 20 days from the date the dispute is opened. Either the buyer or the seller can escalate the dispute.
If you choose to escalate the dispute, it means you are choosing not to communicate any further with the other person and you are asking PayPal to investigate the case and decide the outcome.
Before You File a PayPal Claim
Here’s what you should do before filing a claim;
- Check your item delivery status using the tracking number or contact the seller’s customer service. Unexpected delays may happen due to weather conditions or custom issues sometimes, thus you can check to know the cause of the delay.
- Ensure that the suspicious activity you observe is not a family member trying to use your account without your knowledge, or from a recurring payment like a monthly subscription.
- Give details of the issue to help PayPal decide on the best solution to resolve it.
How Can PayPal Help With a Claim?
- If you are unable to resolve a issue, you can escalate such to PayPal as a claim within 180 days of the transaction and PayPal will step in to help resolve the issue.
- The matter will be investigated and additional information gathered before a decision is reached. This is usually within 30 days.
- The money used for the transaction, will be refunded to you if the claim is decided in your favor.
How To File a PayPal Claim
If you are unsatisfied with your purchase and desire to file a claim;
- Sign in to Resolution Center to file a dispute.
- Give details about the problem and intimate the seller.
- Next, try communicating directly with the seller to resolve the problem.
- If you have reached an agreement with the seller, close the dispute. If the problem has not been resolved, then you can escalate it to a claim and have PayPal step in to help.
How Long Does It Take to Investigate a Paypal Claim?
Most claims, can be investigated within 10-14 days or less. In a minority of cases, PayPal can require up to 30 days (or longer) to decide the outcome of a claim.
Since every purchase matters, PayPal gives you the option of shopping with peace of mind by offering you the Buyer protection policy.
You can rest assured that if your purchase does not meet your desired specification, or if an eligible item does not show up or shows up significantly different than described you will get a refund of the full amount.