Skype for business is an initiative designed to be cost-effective and a collaborative tool for businesses of any size, which can collaborate with anyone, anywhere and on any device.
It is an instant messaging enterprise software used with Skype for Business Server or alternatively with Skype for Business Online.
Skype for Business Benefits
- It helps you communicate more effectively and get your team on the same page with group chat, online meetings, calling, and web conferencing.
- You can work better together and collaborate on files with built-in Office 365 apps like Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and SharePoint.
- Customize your workspace by adding your favorite Microsoft apps and third-party services to keep your business moving.
- Keep your team secure with end-to-end security, administrative control and compliance.
- Host meetings (1:1, team, and live events for up to 10,000 people) with consistent experiences across platforms as well as get scheduling assistance, note-taking, desktop sharing, file uploading, chat, etc.
- Make and receive clear, reliable calls by enabling PBX capabilities, including call control in Office 365, and replace on-premises PBX with the Phone System. Pair same with Direct Routing or Calling Plan to get full calling capabilities in Office 365.
Difference Between Skype and Skype for Business
Skype and Skype for business are both offered by Microsoft and serve different audiences with each coming with its own unique features.
The version of Skype you choose depends largely on factors like the size of your business, as well as the number of people participating in your meetings.
The devices and apps the version supports, your budget, and if you need the advanced functionalities of Skype for Business.
Features of Skype
Skype is offered as a free version of Microsoft’s video calling and instant messaging applications. It is aimed at small businesses and people who do not need complex add-ons that would enhance the software’s functionality.
This app is ideal for regular consumers and is inadequate for large businesses where meetings involve many people. Skype can support meetings of up to 25 people.
Features of Skype for Business
Skype for business on the other hand is a paid-for software specifically designed to for large organizations. It supports up to 250 users at a time and is ideal for businesses that require to hold large online meetings, share files, and do a host of other things on a large scale.
How to Use Skype for Business with Regular Skype
Skype users can add Skype for business users to their contacts list and can communicate using instant messaging, see each other’s presence as well as initiate audio calls. Microsoft Skype for Business syncs with the consumer version of Skype.
How To Download and Install Skype for Business
In case you do not have this app already installed on your device, you can download and install the same from your Office 365 home page.
- Log into your Office 365 account at office.com
- Tap on the Settings icon at the right corner of your screen.
- Then choose the Office 365 link beneath my app settings.
- Click on Software.
- Choose the Skype for Business link on the left-wing column
- Choose your preferred language
- Select the version that is compatible with your office programs.
- Tap Install to download the app.
Note, if you do not see Skype for Business listed, you are to check with your admin, or install the app for Office 365 ProPlus.
- Thereafter, choose Run to begin the download
- Tap Yes to confirm
If the app is bundled with your Office 365 programs ;
- Choose your preferred language
- Select the version that is compatible with your Office programs.
- Tap Install to download Skype for Business
- Choose Run to begin the download
- Tap Yes to confirm.
- Close the installer box once the installation is complete and launch Skype for Business.
Get more value, get more coverage with Skype for business.